|Position: Associate Professor
Office: (on leave)
E-mail: [email protected]
- Ph.D. University of Massachusetts, Amherst 2006
- M.S. University of Massachusetts, Amherst 2002
- B.A. University of Minnesota, Morris 1999
- Approximation algorithms NP-hard problems
- Hardness of approximation
- Data structures
- Machine learning and functional programming languages
Brent received his Ph.D. from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst in 2006. His graduate work focused on models and algorithms for improving access to organized information with applications to web site design and optimal decision making.
During the final year of his graduate studies, Brent helped several other computer scientists start Adverplex — a company dealing primarily with pay-per-click advertising.
Brent is currently working on new models and algorithms for categorical organizations of information — particularly organizations involving tagged data. He is also searching for new approximation algorithms and hardness results for several coding problems.